We've got to stop this
Every Company, every employee and every person that comes into our day to day environment must take responsibility for their impact on the planet.
One of the biggest environmental impacts is waste.
We all generate it and we all have the ability to influence what happens to it.
And most people do.
“I recycle at home…….”
“I don’t use plastic bags anymore…..”
“I Use a reuseable coffee cup……..”
All great stuff – but what about the waste your Company generates?
1. Consider sustainable materials in your own packaging and in your supplier's supply chain.
The most difficult and expensive element of waste management is segregating all the different types of waste materials in order that they can be processed in the most environmental way.
- Not all packaging is the same material.
- Not every plastic drinking bottle is even made using the same plastic
It is commercial businesses, influenced by their own customers that are simplifying waste management.
- Lucozade Ribena have committed to removing plastic film and sleeves
from their bottles.
- Waitrose pledge to scrap black plastic food trays.
2. Planning at every stage.
3. Knowledge & Data
“I don’t even know what my Company’s waste environmental impact is.”
“Where do I start to reduce my waste environmental impact.”
“How do I measure my Company’s waste environmental impact.”
“My customers are demanding my Company is doing the right thing environmentally.”
“My competitors are winning business as I don’t have the right environmental credentials.”
Futur First are not experts in manufacturing products or storing – picking and delivering products across the UK or selling fashion items or managing shopping centres or commercial properties.
But we do know about waste & recycling and can assist in you:
- Understanding where, why and what waste is being produced
- How to achieve zero to landfill
- How to quantify volumes of each waste material
- How to segregate and handle waste in the most efficient way
- What the most environmental outlets for your waste is
- How to reduce and recycle more of your waste
- And how to continue reducing your waste environmental impact.
Sustainability Top 5
REDUCE – “Waitrose stops providing disposable cups in all is stores.
REUSE – Patagonia offer their customers a free repair on many of their goods. They also encourage customers to return no longer wanted goods so they can be either re sold to converted into new products.
RECYCLE – Nike “Reuse-A-Shoe program. Worn out shoes are ground up to make a material called NIKE GRIND which is then used to make surfaces for athletics grounds or kids playgrounds.
DIVERT – There are currently 24 Energy from Waste Facilities (EWF’s) in the UK. They took 3.28 million tonnes of waste in 2018 and produced 450 kwh per input tonne – equivalent to powering 37.5 million homes.
LANDFILL – NO! – Just don’t do it!